While we accept applications year-round, our most recent hiring round has come to an end. Applications received after 31st January will be taken up for consideration in the next round. Please check this page for updates on upcoming internship openings.
About the ICS Intership Programme
The Institute of Chinese Studies (ICS), New Delhi receives research scholars who come as interns, in a programme that operates round the year, for a period that varies from two to three months. The internship is focused on nurturing young research scholars working on China and the East Asian region. It provides opportunities to individuals from various social science disciplines as also the Humanities, International Relations, etc., to pursue their research interests and hone their scholarly inquiries and writing while working under the guidance of mentors who are experts in their own fields. It gives them exposure to high-quality scholarship that may further encourage them to pursue higher studies. They also gain insights into organisational workings and acquire experience of conducting seminars and talks.
ICS has now expanded the Internship Programme to receive ‘virtual interns.’ Those who may not be able to come to Delhi but wish to connect with the Institute through internet, email and other online channels, and pursue projects or short assignments that fit into their study programs and receive guidance from the ICS faculty can also apply.
The broad terms are as follows:
- The internship would be for a period of two to three months, and may be extended by up to two months, if warranted.
- The scholar will be required to present a research proposal which will be assessed by the ICS in terms of its suitability and the availability of ICS research staff to guide the scholar as needed.An ICS Faculty, Fellow or Associate will be invited to mentor the intern. The intern will be expected to work closely with her/his mentor and other concerned faculty members. The intern will also be involved in various activities of ICS as feasible.
- An ICS Faculty, Fellow or Associate will be requested to mentor the intern. The scholar will be expected to work closely with his/her mentor and other concerned faculty members. The intern will be expected to participate in all activities of the ICS.
- The intern will be required to submit a progress report on a fortnightly basis to the mentor and the designated ICS faculty member.
- The outcome of the internship should be a paper that can be offered for publication or a report that fits into the scholar’s research agenda. That document may be published in one of the series of ICS publications, including Occasional Papers, Analysis and Research Blogs. Papers of exceptionally high quality may be offered for consideration by the the ICS journal, China Report: A Journal of East Asian Studies. Such publication is recommended, but is entirely contingent on the originality and quality of the research paper.
- ICS will provide the scholar a testimonial on successful completion of the internship.
- Applicants must have completed their Masters degree. However, we are open to accommodating final year bachelor’s students as well.
- Applicants must possess a keen interest in China and/or the East Asian region.
- Language proficiency in any of the related areas in the East Asian region would be an added advantage. Language students in their BA final year are also encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be interested in and demonstrate the ability to take up research as well as organisational tasks.
- Social media and website management related skills would be of added advantage.
Key Research and Organisational Responsibilities:
- Close interaction and coordination with the mentor and submission of fortnightly reports.
- Assisting the staff with various research and administrative tasks.
- Organizing events.
- Drafting newsletters and event mails.
- Assisting with social media.
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A writing sample of not more than 2000 words (if available).
- One page (500 words) research statement/proposal.
- Two letters of recommendation (of which one must be from a faculty member).
Before submitting your application, we would urge you to go through our website www.icsin.org and browse through our various programmes and publications. This will help you to not only familiarize yourselves with our mission and work but also to be sure that ICS is where you want to spend an important part of your academic and professional life.
If you are interested in internships at ICS, you can email your application with a short covering letter with the below-mentioned documents to email@example.com. Please specify email subject as ‘Application for Internship’. Please state whether you prefer online or offline internship.
The cover letter (in the main text of the email) must provide a brief introduction to the applicant’s area(s) of interest, relevant experience and skills, and indicate the period of availability.
Shortlisted candidates will be called for an online interview.